Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wiki'd Women


Metal junk mail. what could be cooler?

My second entry to the 2009 EBSQ Junk Mail Show. I don't know if AOL still sends out offers in these nifty little tins, but I found one that I had stashed a while back.

I sanded the lid to give it a distressed look, added snippets of my collection of envelope security linings, along with a half dozen stamps my father had saved from old correspondence from the 1950's and topped it off with vintage blue rick-rack just because.

Then I Wiki'd the women on the stamps as a bit of a history lesson. First we have:

Susan B. Anthony 1820-1906 the B. is for Brownell. American civil rights leader made famous for her role in the 19th century women's rights movement to introduce women's suffrage into the United States. She also learned to read and write at the age of three!

Martha Washington shown here on the one and a half cent. 1731-1802 The first first lady. At the tender age of 17 she married a rich planter 20 years her senior. She had four children, became a rich widow at 25 and married George two years later. George and Martha had no children together.

Mother Mary Aikenhead 1787-1858 Brought up in the Church of Ireland, but became a Roman Catholic in 1802 and later founded the religious order, the Sisters of Charity.

Lucy Stone 1818-1893 Prominent American abolitionist and suffragist, and a vocal advocate and organizer promoting rights for women. She was the first known woman to keep her maiden name after marriage and the first woman from Massachusetts to earn a college degree.

Queen Elizabeth (QEll) 1926-present. She is currently enjoying the ipod that Barack & Michelle Obama presented to her recently.

Lady Liberty 1886-present. A gift from the people of France, she stands tirelessly on Liberty Island in New York Harbor, welcoming visitors, immigrants, and returning Americans traveling by ship. Before it's demolition, the Coney Island Elephant was actually the first structure seen by immigrants arriving in New York.






See the current EBSQ Junk Mail Show here. Entries accepted til the end of April.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Art of Spirit LeatherWorks said...

How awesomely clever! I love the big-eyed kitty below as well -- thanks for helping me find your blog by following mine -- now where is YOUR follow button?? ;-)

Sun Jun 14, 07:44:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Albinocrow said...

ha...there is a 'follow' button?
I just typed your blog addy into my 'add blogs to follow' box in my dashboard. hmmmm, I'll look into it...someday :o)

Sun Jun 14, 08:24:00 AM 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters