Sunday, August 31, 2008

am I gonna beam up now?


While heading outside one recent morning to let out and feed the chickens, I noticed the sun burning off the last of the early mist. Thinking how beautifully inviting, the two-track road looked out our back door, I went back in to get my camera. I was kind of hoping that at the moment I snapped a photo, a deer, or fox or even a rabbit or turkey would stroll on by, by no. Then Hawg, my husband's kitty that went from he to she without a name change, suddenly said 'Hey, I want to be in the picture!' Like a moth to a flame, she bolted to the brightest patch and kind of looked as if she were about to beam up into an extra-terrestrial mother ship. (click photo to enlarge)
As I walked over to her, she did what all cats do when they want attention. Plop down where ever they may be, as if to say 'aren't I cute? now scratch my head.'

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ArtSparker said...

Amazing photograph - good on the serendipity! I enjoy corvids also - I assume you have read The Mind of the Raven? The white crow is lovely.

Re the demo convention: nobody has been able to tell me what was up with the closing song (ie,I know the candidate didn't pick it out). Any thoughts?

Mon Sep 01, 10:47:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Albinocrow said...

Susan,
I don't know where to start, except perhaps- thank-you for finding my blog and for leaving such thought provoking comments. You had me going in all directions at once which is pretty much normal for me.

I love your art and you are amazingly productive, as your portfolio goes on and on. I am not done gawking yet.
Can you believe, I have never used the word serendipity? And even though I was familiar with it, I had to look it up and the definition was more wonderful than I had imagined. It also said 'The word has been voted as one of the ten English words that were hardest to translate.'
I have B.H.'s Mind of the Raven & Ravens in Winter, and I couldn't bring myself to read them cover to cover, but rather as reference books, gleaning info here and there, while I was preparing to take on my first (and last) corvid, Seven, a legal pied crow.

Do you mean Springsteen's The Rising? I think they didn't research it as I found here because (naturally) you now had me curious.
-----------
'But it was the choice of song that puzzled us. “The Rising” is a song about a firefighter who gives his life while trying to save others in the World Trade Center on 9/11. The last verse takes place at his funeral, with his wife and kids in attendance.

An excellent song, to be sure, but a strange one for a campaign rally. Perhaps an Obama staffer just heard the title and listened to the chorus and thought, “Hey, it’s a song about rising, like we want to do in the polls!”
--------
Susan, I hope you are some kind of teacher as well as an accomplished artist, because you have an amazing way of sparking curiousity (as well as art), compelling others to seek out knowledge on quite an array of topics.
~Sara

Mon Sep 01, 12:03:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Black Crow said...

Hi Sara,

What a fantastic picture !

Hug from the Netherlands,
Trudy

Thu Nov 04, 06:41:00 AM 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters